Nick Kyrgios pulls out of US Open over coronavirus concerns

Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from the US Open over concerns about the coronavirus pandemic.

Kyrgios, number 40 in the world, said his decision "hurts me to the core" and criticized some of his teammates in a video that was released on social media.

"I have no problem with USTA hosting the US Open. If the players want to leave, it's up to them as long as everyone acts appropriately and safely," he said.

“But tennis players have to act and work together in the mutual interest.

"You can't dance on tables, grab money in Europe, or try to make money quickly for the next exhibition. It's just so selfish.

"Think of the other people. This is what this virus is about. It doesn't matter how high your world rankings are or how much money you have. Act responsibly. "

The US Open is slated to begin behind closed doors in Flushing Meadow on August 31.

Australian compatriot Ashleigh Barty, the current number 1 in the world of women, pulled out of the tournament earlier this week and Andy Murray said he was expecting more players.

Kyrgios read an open letter in his video and said the global economy and tennis could be rebuilt, "but we can never restore lost lives."

"Dear tennis, let's take a breath here and remember what is important, namely health and safety as a community," said Kyrgios.

Ashleigh Barty, the number 1 in the women's world, will not be in Flushing Meadows
Ashleigh Barty, the number 1 in the world of women, will not be in Flushing Meadows (Steven Paston / PA).

“I say good luck to the players who have complied with the rules and act selflessly. Play at your own risk – and I have no problem with that.

“I'm not going to play at the US Open this year. It really hurts me not to play in one of the biggest sports arenas, the Arthur Ashe Stadium.

"But I'm sitting for the people, for my Aussies, for the hundreds and thousands of Americans who have lost their lives. For all of you."

Kyrgios has been exposed to health and safety concerns throughout the coronavirus outbreak.

He criticized Novak Djokovic after he and several other top players tested positive after an exhibition tournament, the Adria Tour, which helped organize the world's number one.

One of these players, Borna Coric and Kyrgios, has since quarreled over the Australian's comments on the Adriatic Tour.





Source link

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*